How Do You Stand Out From Your Competitors?
About two weeks ago, I got my fall Coupon Clipper in the mail. And since I write blogs and other marketing materials for the lawn and landscape industry, I hunted down all of the lawn and landscape ads in the Clipper. There were only three, full color, half page ads in the entire magazine. So I pulled them out and analyzed them.
One company had the following:
- Clean and shiny trucks. (So, how does this benefit me, a homeowner who needs lawn care? Sure, shiny trucks look great and show that you take pride in your company. But how does this help me get my lawn core aerated, fertilized and mowed until mid-November?)
- Friendly, uniformed personnel. (I expect that of any company that I hire to work on my property. And please, keep on your shirts when you work on my landscape.)
- Three-hour callback guarantee. (I’m glad that you’ll call back within three hours. Yet, shouldn’t you call all your prospects back within 24 hours if you want them to be your customers? This is one reason Angie’s List and the like are popular. Those contractors who belong to Angie’s List guarantee that they call back. It’s just good customer service.)
- State-of-the-art equipment and sharpened daily. (Okay, but again, how does this help me? I expect you to use the state-of-the-art equipment and make sure that every mower, trimmer, etc. is sharpened to make my lawn and landscape look beautiful. It’s expected, so why state it?)
Why You Need to Walk a Mile in Your Prospect’s Shoes
While you may know that the above points are part of a professional package, you’re not telling your prospects what they need. Here are some thoughts to help you develop a prospect-focused ad that hopefully will garner some calls:
- We take the hassle out of lawn care. We’ll mow your lawn on a weekly or biweekly basis.
- Does your lawn look tired? Is it bare in some spots? We can bring your turf back to life with core aeration and overseeding.
- Other than a well-mowed lawn, you won’t know that we’ve been to your home that day. We clean up after ourselves by blowing patios, walkways, and driveways.
- Do you want to add some new trees to your landscape? Call us today (provide your phone number) to schedule your tree planting appointment.
- We’ll save you time. By hiring us to take care of all of your lawn and landscape needs, you’ll have more free time to focus on your family, friends and hobbies.
It All Comes Down to “So What?”
It can seem intimidating to figure out what your customers need. But a simple question can help you focus. It’s the “So what?” question. Marketers and journalists use the “So what?” question all the time. Why? It helps them focus on their prospects’ needs rather than just highlighting what they see as the good points of their company. And the “So what?” question will help you stand out from your competitors because you’re thinking about your audience’s pain points rather than the “same ole, same ole” that other lawn and landscape companies use to entice people to call them.
Good marketing involves solving your clients’ pain points. A lot of two-income families are busy—and they’re tired. Many families have multiple places to go in the evening and no one wants to spend their weekend mowing their lawn or even mulching their flower beds.
So make it easy on your prospects and clients by telling them how you’ll solve their lawn care problems—whether it’s professional mowing services or lawn care services such as core aeration, dethatching, and fall overseeding.